Saturday, March 14, 2020

Begining A Journey

The road to recovery is long and slow. 

It has started. 

24 days ago, my wonderful surgeon got rid of my oral cancer after some 7 hours' hard and miraculous work at Methodist Hospital, in Dallas.
For the next two weeks, I breathed and was fed through tubes, etc. I cannot say that I remember much - there were endless nightmarish scenes I remember, of fighting the restrictions the nurses put on me, the many dying scenes (imaginary, as all those at the hospital would say; but, they were real to me.), and countless "baby steps" I took, such as learning to sit up, to stand up, to take a step  - one foot before the other - one step at a time . . .
Eventually, the tubes were gone. I was fed liquids and some purred foods. After being in the hospital ICU, for the most time, I was sent back to my home at the Conservatory - on the 3rd of this month.
Now, it has been Ten days after I have been at home.

True I am well on my way to recovery.
The hole in my neck has finally closed up.
The swelling on my face is much better. I still look like the Phantom though.
I can walk without help.
I can feed myself, after a fashion. No solids for a while yet.
Great improvement. I am trying to do word-puzzle everyday.
My Speech therapist is teaching me how to use my tongue. Saying certain alphabets are trying to me. I keep trying.
My energy level is rising, slowly and surely.
It is so good to talk to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment