Friday, July 25, 2014

Carefree Days

As my life in the classrooms, especially in History Classes, improved, my life at HoTung Hall, miraculously, followed suit. I started to make friends.

Joyce came into my life. Joyce is a couple of years younger than I. She was also from Shanghai. However, Joyce is not Chinese. 
Joyce is - a little bit of French,
               a little bit of German,
               a little bit of Asian - may be Chinese,
               a little bit of Eastern European,
               and, a good bit of English . . .
               (I lost count.)
Joyce and I started to hangout together, and we became good friends. As a matter of fact, we became Best Friends. A retired teacher, she now lives in Australia with her husband. We still communicate with each other. 


I, also, started to run-around with a few others. Among them; Jackie, an attractive, petite Portuguese girl born in Hong Kong; two girls from Malaya; a few native Hong Kong born Chinese - one of them, later became my sister-in-law. Brenda -we call her Dum.

I continued being vigilant about improving my English and studied hard.

Besides the regular classes and tutorials, I became quite active in the many Clubs, some social, mostly educational. Of course, those of us in the School of Arts all belong to the Arts Association. At the same time, I got involved in Music Appreciation, Drama, Choir (I did sing a little then, I cannot carry a tune now), and so on.
Believe it or not, I was in Girls' Hockey, for a short time. The games were too rough for me. I dropped out. Nevertheless, lots of us girls were in the Cheering Squad, cheering for our athletes - our tennis players, our hockey players, our football players, our swimmers, and so on. No pom-poms.
I remember one time, I went to the Portuguese Colony of Macao, some sixty or seventy miles west of Hong Kong by sea, with the athletes for some big tournaments. After the many Games, we were wined and dined by the Governor (the perks of being in small colonies) - the dinner lasted three hours with a great number of delicate dishes being served. We were VIPs.
It was great fun.

I did not go home on Wednesdays anymore.

I studied hard, and I played hard. Life was good.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment