Monday, July 21, 2014

My Friend Camilla

That summer, before I started my life at HKU, some visitors came to see us in Hong Kong.
My father's German partner in Shanghai, Mr. Shanaman? (I don't really know how to spell his name now), and his family finally manged to leave Shanghai. 
The Shanamans had a daughter about my age, when we were in Shanghai during my teen-years, my father would send me to the Shanamans on weekends, so I could "practice" my English with Camilla. 
I believe Camilla was born in Shanghai. She spoke some Shanghainese. And of course, she and her family spoke both German and English.  
I would go to the Shanamans' house on a Saturday or Sunday afternoons. Mrs. S would try to teach me how to bake cookies and cakes. She was a great baker, but I never learned to be one.
She would tell me how I should compose my letters, if I should be writing a letter in English. She said that I should always close my letters to friends with the words "With Regards". Then, she would demonstrate writing "With Regards" with a great flourish. I still remember that. 
She also taught me how to do embroidery the European way. I still have some table clothes that I embroidered then. 
As to practicing speaking English with Camilla, it did not go very far. I remember, the two of us would be laughing and giggling in Camilla's room, but not really speaking too much English. I did learn a few words in German though.
Camilla played the accordion and I loved to hear her play. 

I was excited to see her again. And, of course, excited to see her parents as well. For a few days, my parents and I entertained them and showed them around Hong Kong and helped with some shopping.  And then they left for Germany.
I often wonder, now-a-days, where is Camilla?     
Her parents are probably gone by now, but -
Where is Camilla? I would like to see or hear from her again.

So, Camilla, if you happen to read this Blog, contact me please. 

No comments:

Post a Comment