Sunday, July 20, 2014

Peter, The Photographer

During the last few years in Shanghai, I did not see my cousin (my mother's cousin really) Peter as much as when we were very young. Partly because we tried not to venture outside if we did not have to during the Occupation. Also, I think, partly because we were growing up and the grown-ups probably thought it wasn't a good idea to have me going to the villa for weekends all the time. 
Then, after we moved to Hong Kong, we all lived in the same building and saw each other every day. Peter, my other cousins, my siblings, and our Shanghai young friends took a lot of outings together, mostly sightseeing.
Peter was very interested in taking photos. He was forever with his camera, shooting one thing or another. He had a darkroom in Shanghai and developed his own films. In Hong Kong, he manged to have a place for a darkroom for his Hobby. He was constantly taking pictures. I became his model.

I still have some of the pictures - me, on the rooftop; me, on the beach; me, three images peeking out the transom windows (I believe he did triple-exposure); and me, everywhere. Years later, when someone saw the many pictures of me taken by Peter, he made a comment, "he must be in love with you." Maybe it was so. However, I was blind to the fact if he was. 

                                          Me at lady Hotung Hall

                                    Me           Peter's younger sister Janet

                                    In front of the Peninsula Hotel

                                          On the roof top ladder

                                         On the roof top terrace

                                               Triple exposure

                                                At the beach

                                         Peter's sister             Me

                              Winnie     Me     Michael
So, we had a great and carefree Spring and Summer in this beautiful place.

In the fall, my mother manged to enroll me at the University of Hong Kong. I had to start as a First year student, but no matter. I did not have to take any tests!
Not so with Peter. Peter is a year older than I. he had already finished two years at St. John's University in Shanghai when we went to Hong Kong. Still, they made him take a test in English, before the University would admit him. 
Now, I do not understand this a bit. 
St.John's was the top university in Shanghai. All St. John's students were supposedly proficient in the English language. He was to enter the School of Engineering. How come he had to pass the English test and I did not have to?
My mother must have performed some magic.
HKU, at that time, had only 800 students. To be at the University was Something. Hundreds of students sat for the Entrance Exam and only a small number was admitted each year. Also, it was not cheap.
So, thank you, Ma.

In the fall, I moved into HoTung Hall, the residence for female students.
Remember the HoTungs? HoTung Hall was built with the donation from HoTung family.  
I would spend the next few years there during school terms.

Peter did pass his test and was accepted. He was housed in another part of the University. We did not see each other much after that fall. .    

No comments:

Post a Comment