Monday, December 8, 2014

Me vs. Technology

My internet provider kept sending me letters telling me that they have upgraded my neighborhood with their advanced digital network. And they wanted me to have this improved technology.

After receiving the same kind of letter from the company for months, I finally decided to check it out. I was told that I could have unlimited long distance phone call in the U.S. and Canada, and this high speed and new Wi-Fi will -
       turn "my home into a private Wi-Fi hot spot,"
       and help me with improved service. 
The monthly bill will be lower.
I go for the money saving part and the free long-distance phone calls; and I can use improved service - but would it help me with more understanding of this cyber world?

The problem with my relationship with the internet and all these modern technology is not merely a matter of speed. The problem is that I have not yet have the total understanding as how to deal with my computer and the internet. Will I ever?

Speed is not the issue.

Here I am, newly graduated from a tricycle to a bicycle, so to speak. I am barely learning to ride without my training wheels - I am still shaky and I am weaving like crazy. What I need is not a high speed bicycle, but something basic and reliable, so I could get from point A to point B, without having to have help all the time. 

Give me back my training wheels!

Anyway, I called the company, and they were to send me a technician with a new modem and get me set up.
On the day of the appointment, I waited all day and no one showed up to do anything.
I called the following day.
"Our record showed that you now have the use of our new . . . You are all set  up," the man said.  

"I don't think so," I said.

I told the man that no one had come. 

I am still on the old system.

So he went to check and then told me that there was some problem that their engineer had to fix before the technician could set my new system up.
Someone will call me when the problem is solved.

Since it was the weekend, I did not expect anyone to come.

Then Early Sunday morning, the phone rang, the technician announced to me that he would be over to my house shortly. Surprise!

The man came about forty minutes later.
He worked on the connection for an hour or so and then he told me that he could not get it going because there was something that was not connected in the office.

Everything had to wait till Monday.

I am back with my old system.

And I am to call him in the morning. He did not tell me to take two aspirins!

No comments:

Post a Comment