Monday, December 1, 2014

My adopted family, The Mullins

I cannot remember when and how exactly the Mullins befriended me.
Most likely we met when we had some real estate dealings.

It had to be at least thirty some years ago. 

Anyway, Floyd and Bee, an elderly couple, took a liking to me. 

Floyd was tall and lanky, a near six-footer. He stooped a little. Bee was about a foot shorter than Floyd, tiny and slender, with wispy gray hair and a wonderful smile.
Floyd was a retired engineer . 
Bee used to design and make clothes for movie stars in Hollywood back in the forties. 
Sometimes ago, they moved back to Ada to retire. They had a home south of Ada on five acres. Floyd tinkered with whatever he got his hands on. Their backyard was filled with Floyd's finds which he intended to make into something or other. Bee did cooking, sewing, needlework, and gardening.

Somehow they found me. 
With no children of their own, they practically adopted me.

Floyd was handy and he helped me with my rentals. I paid him whatever he billed me, because he was someone I could rely on to get the job done.
Bee was a great cook. She made the best fried chicken and chicken dumplings I ever tasted. I wished that she had given me the recipes.

They would come into my office, insisting on loaning me money to buy rentals. They said that they did not want me to go to the bank for mortgages. Whenever they had some money saved up, they would come by to tell me that they had so much available cash to loan me, for the same interest the bank charged me. We would draw up and sign the proper papers. For them, it was a better interest rate on their money than what the bank paid on savings. And it was cheaper for me. So throughout the years, we had a number of transactions. I usually would pay back the loan before its full terms. They were happy and so was I.

I also helped Floyd purchase some rentals, and helped him with paper-works when he sold them later with owner-financing plans. Oftentimes, I would give him and Bee free advice when they needed some.

One day, Floyd came to my office and asked me if I would be the executrix of his and Bee's estate. He wanted to leave his estate to the University. I thought about it, then I told him that he should have an institution do this for him. Since an institution like the bank would be more permanent than me, an individual. I declined his request. Floyd was a bit disappointed. But I thought it was for the best.
So Floyd and Bee found an attorney who drew up their will and made himself their executor.

Floyd passed away in the early nineties. Bee lived for about ten years as a widow. 
I visited her, but not often enough. 
She said that her attorney and his wife were looking after her and taking care of her affairs.
I did not want to interfere.
Bee passed away in her nineties.

A few years went by. One day I read in the paper, Bee's attorney had mismanaged her estate. He had done the same thing with some other people and was discovered by their heirs.

I wish that I had taken better care of Floyd and Bee.


No comments:

Post a Comment