Thursday, December 11, 2014

My Seascape - Waves Coming!

I usually do still life in painting. 
Then I went out of my comfort zone, and did a seascape. 

I took my time and worked on it with a great deal of thought, pondering over many points. 
I did not rush. 
The painting turned out much better than I expected.

I have learned that if I take my time to lay a good foundation for the painting, think before I act in almost every step, and correct my mistakes as soon as I find them, almost immediately, then the overall result becomes much more satisfactory than if I rushed to complete a picture without putting much thought into it.

Like building a house, a solid foundation is a necessity.

I studied with the Russian-American impressionist painter, Ovanes Berberian. I love his works.

He said that laying the foundation should take 85% to 90% of  one's time in painting. Draw. Mass in. Modelling. Do not try to finish the picture too soon. Edit. Change. Make corrections before putting down the finishing touches.

Same idea in building a house. 
Don't decorate too soon. 
Build the house. 
Then decorate it.

Life works the same way, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1/16/2015

    "Build the House
    Then Decorate it"
    Love it!!

    ReplyDelete