Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Drummer And His Wife

They say first impression counts.

They say that you need to give people a good first impression.

What about the people who purposefully want to do the opposite - to give you a first impression that means not to impress you?

One Saturday morning, I was in the office by myself. In walked a couple who wore very low-key looking clothes - the man was in well-washed jeans and a rumpled t-shirt and the woman had on a dark colored skirt and and a black knit top, with no jewelry. However, there was a certain air that they carried, and it made me think that they were not what they appeared to be. But I could not quite figure out what it was that made them different.

They were looking to purchase a piece of property in the country on some small acreage. So I proceeded to work with them as usual and tried my very best to show them what they wanted. By the end of the day, I succeeded in finding them something to their liking. I drew up the contract. By Monday, we made a deal.

When I asked them if they needed a loan, I was told that they would pay cash for the property.

And yes, they could have bought ten times the property that they did - with cash. He was a famous drummer with some internationally known band and had made several gold-records. He was retired and wanted to settle down in a small town like Ada, and to be near their relatives. 
They intentionally dressed down when coming into my office, not wanting to be Taken By Unscrupulous Real Estate people.

They did not know that I would not have treated them any differently if they wore expensive clothing. I had learned a long time ago, not to judge the book by its cover

Treat everyone with the same courtesy whether they wore Brooks Brothers suits or worn jeans.

I had millionaire friends who ran around in t-shirts with holes in them most of the time.

1 comment:

  1. If they settled on a log cabin on a promontory I know them well. Her mother and mine we're the best of friends for decades. It may be surprising, I find refreshing, that people with so much talent should be so down to earth.

    ReplyDelete