Saturday, September 27, 2014

Leader of The Pack

When Cissy and Melinda started pre-K and Kindergarten at the First Methodist Church, I started to have a bit of free time.
I tried to find a job.

That proved to be almost impossible.

Good paying jobs for women were practically non-existent in Ada in the sixties.

I was too qualified for a sales person's job - which paid a dollar an hour. Anyway, I did not think I could stand on my feet all day. So that was out.
There were not any executive secretary jobs to be had. I tried some companies. They had no vacancies. Or, may be they just did not want me. Because I am foreign? No speskee English?

I finally deliberately omitted my higher eduction qualification on my resume and got a part time job at S & Q, a clothing store. 
Remember, I was a pretty good seamstress?
I did alterations.
I could work at home, which worked out wonderfully for me. Alterations paid well. For shortening a skirt, I could make four dollars - a ten or fifteen minutes work for me. I also worked on man's suits and tuxedos. They took a bit longer and more skill. But the pay was good. However, it was not a job that could afford you a living. I was merely making some Pin Money.

During Summer vacation time, I needed to find somethings for the girls to do.
I went to the local library.
Ada, as a small town, had a great library, even then. 
The Library was located near downtown in a beautiful building, small but adequately stocked with children's books. (The library moved to its present location in late seventies.)

Remember. I was a librarian before coming to the U.S.?

I talked to some of the young student-workers there. They happened to be students from East Central, majoring in music and art. When I mentioned about forming some children's summer arts program, they became excited.
So, when vacation time came, I had made arrangements with one of the local elementary schools to allow us to use one of the classrooms for this program.
I would provide the supplies and some simple refreshments, and the two young men would lead the children who enrolled, in organized arts and crafts classes - three afternoons a week for some four weeks. It was free for the children who attended. Thus, we started out Summer Children's Arts Program. 
Later, some music teacher took over. With funds from grants and the city, Children had art and music during summer vacation. 
Eventually, it became part of the Library Programs. It is still going on now.

My connection with the elementary schools led to the event of my organizing libraries for two of the elementary schools, Hays and Washington. 
I was paid with a lot of coffee and donuts.
Later, at Hays, I worked as a teacher's aide, but in fact, as a librarian for a couple of years. The principal always called me, "Our Librarian."
I felt like I was doing something useful and I could also be home with the children when school was out.

At some time, I was A Blue Birds Leader and a Camp Fire Girls Leader. I cannot remember who talked me into doing that.
For a few years, you would find me, going places with a group of chatty and giggling girls in tow. I remember one of the highlights was Visiting the Post Office Building and riding the Elevator - some of the girls had never been on an elevator before! By the way, at that time, we had very few elevators in town. 

I was trying to introduce something new to the Blue Birds and Camp Fire Girls!


No comments:

Post a Comment