Monday, September 15, 2014

News At Lunch Time


Some of my girl friends had told me that they married their husbands For Better or For Worse, but Not For Lunch.

My husband came home for lunch everyday when we were in Austin. Yes, I cooked three meals for him everyday.

I remember that day - November 22, l963. 
My husband, Cynthia, and I were having lunch.
I remember Melinda was in a playpen nearby.
I remember the newscaster - possibly Walter Cronkite - came on the TV announcing that JFK had been shot.
Then, came the news that he died in a Dallas hospital.
The world was in shock.
Then, the world was in morning.
America lost a great president and great man.

Now, nearly fifty-one years had passed. 
I am reading a book by Christopher Andersen, called 'Jackie After Jack, Portrait of The Lady.' It is quite interesting. 
He also wrote a book called 'Jack and Jackie.'
We never really found out what happened. 
Who really killed JFK? We knew who pulled the trigger. But do we really know who was behind it all?

Like all families, there are 'secrets', and 'unknown histories."

Reading 'Jackie After Jack,' ones sees a different side of the beloved First Lady.

Isn't it true that we have many sides of us - I mean, all of us do. We show only some sides of us to certain people, not intentionally. We show other sides of us to other people. 
May be it is the other way around. Some people see some sides of us and others see some other sides of us. 

Like the blind men and the elephant. You know the story - the blind men are to describe what the elephant is like. One blind man touched the elephant's trunk and described elephant as the trunk. Another touched the leg, and described the elephant as its leg, and so on. Each blind man had only the knowledge of part of the elephant. What one described of the elephant was only part of the whole, but not the whole. Were they lying? No. Only it was not the truth either.
Isn't this true to us all? Do we ever know the others wholly? Or, do we know ourselves totally? Probably not. We know only one side or a few sides of the person. But we, sometimes, do get to know the Whole Story? 

This brings me to the fact that we all have a story to tell. At a certain point of life, we realize that you are the only one who really knows the whole story.

So tell your story. I would like to hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment