Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Prune Cake

We were living in an upstairs apartment in Houston.

We bought a washer and dryer - since it was too much trouble to take the diapers to the Laundromat everyday.

The problem was, when we turned on the washer, the whole house shook. Our landlord was not too happy about it. So we eventually moved into a house.

I don't remember much about the house - we were not there very long. But I do remember our neighbor, the Jewish lady who baked the most heavenly delicious prune cake. It was good and moist. She gave me the recipe:
   
Prune Cake

Mix 2 cups of sugar 
with 3/4 cup of oil (vegetable oil will do)
Add 3 eggs - one at a time, preferred. Mix well
Add 2 cups of flour, sifted
      1/2 teaspoonful of salt
      2 teaspoonful of cinnamon.  Mix lightly.
Add 1 cup of sour milk 
      1 teaspoonful of Baking soda 
Mix in
      1 can Gerber Jr. prunes (they don't have cans anymore, you can use baby prunes in plastic containers, if the containers are real small, use two of them.)
       and
       1/2 cup of pecans (roughly chopped)
Mix for 2 or 3 minutes (I use a hand mixer)

Bake in greased and floured tube pan

350 degrees  for one hour

Cool (I cool the pan on a coke bottle)
Transfer to a cake plate. (Tip: run the knife around the straight edges, It makes the cake slide out easier.)
Slice and Serve.  
Good with whipped cream.

Now, if I, the non-baker, can do it, you can do it.

My girls are better bakers than I, especially my youngest, Cissy. She was in the restaurant business for over thirty years. She can probably help you solve any problems, if you have one.

Try it, I think you will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment