Friday, September 26, 2014

Your Business Is My Business

We never had a Welcome such as we received in this friendly little town of Ada.

Soon after we came to Ada, Mrs. Spencer, wife of the President of East Central College, and Mrs. Parker, wife of the Business Manager at East Central College, came calling.
They invited me to their monthly Ladies' Luncheon at the Spencers' Ranch.
Both ladies were terrific cooks. I enjoyed their luncheons, and learned a number of new dishes - good old-fashioned home-cooking. They were also very generous in sharing their recipes with all the guests.
Both ladies have passed away.  
I still use their recipes.

Then, Mr. Richardson, one of the most prominent members of Ada, came calling, and bid us welcome.
He also introduced S.C. to Lions Club. 

The Newcomers Club Hostess came bearing gifts, donated by local merchants.

Other ladies, the old-timers here, took a liking to me and the girls. We were invited to Teas and Coffees. They treated my girls as if they were grown-ups. The girls enjoyed that. They also introduced us to new foods - pecans, okras, and grits.

Since I was a member of The American Association of University women in Austin once, my membership was transferred to Ada. I became a member of Ada Branch and stayed in the Association until it dissolved in the eighties.

Ada certainly showed us Southern hospitality.

The Lab Wives' Club had monthly Coffees. It also formed Bridge Sessions and other functions, such as seasonal parties when the husbands were invited. 

I kept busy.
 
So, we gradually settled in.

One thing about being in a small town is:
Every one knows every one else.
News travel fast.

Your business is every one's business.
There is only one Newspaper, The Ada Evening News. 
Is that the Reason?

I went to town one morning. When my husband came home for lunch, he already knew that I had been to town. I was surprised and somewhat in disbelief. Whoever saw me in town knew who I was and told my husband? 

I was merely shopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment