Saturday, October 25, 2014

A New Home

By 1985, S.C. and I were "empty nesters." The old house was feeling a bit too big for us, plus the fact that it needed work done constantly.

The two older girls got married, and our youngest one had one more year at the University of Oklahoma.

I had acquired a couple of building lots across the street from our home by some unexpected turn of events. So we started thinking about building a smaller home there.

The following year, we sold our house, without even putting it on the market.
I convinced my husband that we should sell while we had a good buyer. 
So, we moved into a rent house temporarily.

It took us almost two years to design and had a house built to suit us.
We designed the home so that we have a self-contained down-stairs. The upstairs are reserved for the girls and their families when they come home for visits.
S.C. said that he needed three things for the house -
  - a garden to grow vegetables in
  - a room for his fishing and hunting gears
  and 
  - an urinal!
If he got what he wanted, then I could do whatever-else I wanted with the house. 

A Deal!

So I used whatever knowledge I had learned from being in the Real Estate business, and designed an home to suit us, with the special half-bath that has a urinal in it. He also got his Hobby room, with a sink to boot, for cleaning fish.  And, he had plenty of garden space for his vegetables.

As expected, we encountered numerous problems and had a lot of frustrations. When building a house, there are hundreds of decisions to made and problems to solve almost everyday. But neither of us lost our cool over any problems. 
We made many trips to Oklahoma City to purchase lighting fixtures and other things to hold down the cost.
I am usually good about making decisions quickly and stick with my choices. So did S.C. 
Besides I think that I had the idea that I would like to have a house built someday. I was always drawing floor plans, like a want-to-be architect. So I already knew pretty much what I wanted. 
Pleasant and comfortable! Lots of windows! Lots of storage spaces! Lots of wall space for artworks!

Believe me, the satisfaction of having a home built to suit your needs far outweighs any problems. 

We did not get a divorce over building our home.
We moved into this house in 1989.

I am still in the house, and I still love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment