Friday, October 31, 2014

"Ten Places To Visit Before You Die"

There is a list, "Ten Places to Visit Before You die."

Then, there is the list, "Hundred Places To See Before You Die."

Now I ask you: How many of us can afford the time, money, and energy to do this? Ten places, many be.

To me, just drive by the main thoroughfare of a city on a tour bus is not how to "visit" a place. 
Touring Ten Countries in Eight Days? 
No, thank you.

I lived in London for a year, and never really got to know most parts of that big city.
I lived in Hong Kong for eight years.
I grew up in Shanghai.

Now, I do have the time and money to do some of these suggested visits, I find them exhausting. 
Ah, advanced age. Life is not perfect.

Now, let's see. Suppose I have four or five years left for me to travel to some places, what would be my choices?

I have been to many of the places already - in some of them, I had spent many days, perhaps weeks or months. So . . .

I think I would like to spend few months in a farm house in Tuscany, Italy, or in Provence, France.
I could roam the market place, mingle with the locals. Be a traveler, but not a tourist. Be anonymous in a local restaurant - 
But, then I would miss my home. 

I could take a trip back to Hong Kong to visit family and friends. 
I could take a trip or two to some cities in the U.S. 

But, I don't think that I enjoy being a vagabond any more.
I would simply stay home - and try to discover the beauty around me, the beauty that I have been overlooking for many years. 
There are hundred of things that I have not noticed, many places that I have not been, right outside my doorstops.

So let me visit "them" before I die!

No comments:

Post a Comment