Friday, October 17, 2014

A Plan For A Trip Abroad

People often say to me, "I would love to go to China with you."

How disappointed they would be if they only knew how little travel I had done when I was in China. True, I was born and raised in China and did not leave China until I turned twenty. 
The truth was, in my days, we did not travel for pleasure like people do in this part of the world.
My father would take an occasional trip, usually it was for business. He did it by himself.

I remember vaguely, about a short trip to Sochow where my maternal grandmother came from. I was very young. I don't remember how the city was at all. I only knew there was a canal. The place where we stayed was not up to our Shanghai standard.

I traveled to Hangchow where the famous West Lake is for a few days, where my older brother was at the University there. I had to really convince my parents that it would be a great educational tour for me. I think I was still in my teens then. 
I did visit Dragon Well where the most famous tea was harvested; the beautiful well-known man-made lake - the West Lake; and the majestic high mountain. My brother and I actually climbed to the top of the mountain. It took us half a day to get up to the top and half a day to get down. I was surprised at myself for being able to reach the top.
We had lunch at the monastery. 
I stayed with some family friends - because it would be unthinkable for a single girl to stay in a hotel. I really think my father wanted someone besides my brother to keep an eye on me. 
We did not venture to most parts of the city. It was not advised.

As far as Shanghai goes, remember we had so many wars, civil and others. Besides, Shanghai was under Japanese occupation for several years when I was young. We children did not go about the city by ourselves. Usually, we would make some trips to my relatives' homes. We made very few outings, not even many dinners out. We had a cook at home.

My knowledge of Shanghai was less than what you would read in a travel book. 
I learned a lot more about the city after I came to the States.

After working hard for a number of years and after China was open for Americans tourists, my husband and I, and some friends decided to make the trip.

You know what a bargain hunter I am. Right?

One day, I saw a small 3-inch ad in a magazine, 12-days in England and China for less than a thousand dollars each, including hotel and some meals! Of course we had to pay extra to fly there, still . . .
What a bargain!

So in 1986, six of us from Ada, made plans to take the 12-day trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment