Monday, October 6, 2014

My 100th Post

This is my 100th post.

I want to tell you what really started me to actually put "the pen to the paper" (in this case, pounding the keyboard) was because an "incident" that happened to me last year. 

At the age of 84, I had been windowed for about eight plus years, and had no intention of getting married again, or getting involved in any way.

A friend who was also a collector of my artworks passed away. Within eight months after her death, the widowed husband asked me if he could "call on me." 
I did ask him why did he want to be involved with me, this known stubborn old woman, whom people always remarked as "the one who always wanted to do things her way."

By the way, this remark is totally not true. I do not always want things done my way. 
I am just a bit set in my ways.
Call me old.
Call me stubborn. 
I am learning to be tolerant.

Anyway, I thought I wouldn't mind having someone to go to concerts, plays, may be dinners sometime. Besides, he did say that he was looking for a friend
So, I said, "Okay."

He flattered me by saying how elegant I was, so on and so forth. He said that he would love to have someone like me to be on his arms when he goes to some cultural events; and he wanted to take me to this place and that place - to travel abroad even.

I wanted to know who was to pay for all that. Did he know that I don't like Cheap Travels?
You already know that I don't like No-star places, Right?
I, however, did keep my mouth shut.
I merely said, "We'll see."
We went to a couple of plays and had some meals together.

Turned out that he was really looking for a "partner." - and he had been actively looking.

Truth was, I would be damned if I would give up my independence and become his cook, maid, and playmate. 
If he thought so, I have news for him. 
He had another thought coming.

If I was to give up my independence, it had to be for someone really, really, worthy.

Anyway, this 'suitor' of mine (if you could call him that) was a want-to-be writer. After I read some of his writing which was more like a "grocery list" than  stories of human interest - I said to myself, it he could write, so could I. 

I think I can do better.

Call me cocky, if you wish.

You guessed it, this strange "incident" did not last.

Then, I recalled what my friend Bob's remark about my life; he often said to me,"Write It down, before you lose it." It being my memory or my wits.
The thought nagged me in the back of my mind constantly.
I acquired an i Pad.
I bought a smart phone.
My middle daughter gave me a Notebook, which she said that I was Hell-bent on having, last year around Thanksgiving time.
What happened was: there was a super sale on Black Friday . . . 
I am a sucker for Sales, you know.

Anyway, I thought with all these gadgets, I would be "pounding out" pages of writing.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I lack the skills to use these High Tech props.

I was so frustrated that I didn't think I was ever going to learn how to use any of them. I gave up.
Did I say, I gave up?
No!
I meant I am struggling to understand them. 
Someday, I may conquer them.
The Notebook is still sitting there most of the time - I did learn to use it some, after my whiz son-in-law Mark fixed it so A Dummy like me could operate it somewhat. 

I still like my Pen and Paper.

I can manage a little on my desktop.

Then, came the Creation of a Blog for Me, by Mark - I wanted him to and he did it to humor me. 
My life changed. 

So, here I am writing consecutively for the one hundredth day. 

Thank you, Mark.

Thank you, girls, for being my proof-readers.

And thank you for reading my Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment