Sunday, October 5, 2014

Swimming With The Sharks

Like I said, I dived in - Sink or Swim.

I did not know that I was swimming with the sharks.

There was much to be said about Blind Faith. 
If I had known that selling Real Estate would be so complicated and difficult, I probably would have chosen some other job. 
But I did not know any better.

Once I did decide to go for it, I stuck to my guns.

Give me a challenge and tell me that I could not do it, I would prove you wrong, even if it kills me.

So, here I was, in the Real World.

I discovered that the Real World was cruel and unforgiving. 
I was not prepared for it.

I had given up Coffees, Bridge, and many other ladies' gatherings when I started working at the Library. I had to make a choice, work or play. Right?

At that time, many of the Lab Wives had started to either go to school for a degree or go into the work force. Our children were older. We had more time on our hands, perhaps? 

For me, I wanted to make at least sixty-five dollars per month. Remember?
Not very ambitious, really.
But I found being with more grownups, and not having to be talking to children under ten or twelve all the time was refreshing.

If my new Librarian boss had accepted me as a competent secretary/library assistant I would probably have stayed on that job till retirement. 
But Thanks to him, I went into the Real World.

I found the Real World daunting to say the least.

     People were not what they seem to be.

     People could not be trusted.

     People would stab you in the back if you were not looking. 

     People would push you aside on their way to the top, or kill you, so to speak.

     People were two-faced. They would say one thing and do another. 

     People would take advantage of you if you let them.

     People could be mean and vicious.

On top of it all, did I tell you that being an older person, a woman, and non-white, did not help either?

Having said that, I have to say that there were exceptions.

I had a number of "angels" who looked after me and became my mentors, and my friends. 

My angels,
You helped me when I needed help. 
You advised me freely and wisely. 
You held my hand and guided me.
You did all that without asking for anything in return.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
You know who you are. 
I am forever grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment