Thursday, October 30, 2014

Following My Passion

I was approaching the conventional retirement age. But I did not wish to simply quit working. I thought I would slow down a little and do something which I always wanted to do - Painting. 
I had a little training in Chinese painting, but there was no one in Ada who could teach me more and perhaps take me to a higher level. 
I do like oil and watercolor paintings, but I really did not know much about either.
I needed to find a teacher. 

That turned out to be a difficult task.

I took some evening courses offered by the University Public Service Program. I tried to have some private lessons from a lady who lived some forty miles away from Ada. I finally settled on a lady who held regular classes in her studio closer by.
So for one afternoon a week, I would go to Carolyn's studio and try to paint. I purchased the necessary supplies and was eager to learn.

I told my associates that that afternoon would be my time. "Don't call me unless it is life or death."

Carolyn is a sweet lady, self taught, and quite talented. However, her style is not what I wished to follow. Also she did not teach theory but would merely show us what to do on our painting surfaces.

I needed directions, I needed theories, I needed to understand them . . .

My friend Mildred invited me to paint with her. Mildred introduced me to Bob Ross Workshops and she taught me how to enter art shows.
Bob Ross method got me started, but that kind of painting was not enough for me.

I did that for a while.
I felt that there was something missing.

Then, I went to Ardmore, a town some sixty or so miles southwest of Ada, and took a three-day Oil Painting Workshop. It opened my eyes.
Real working Artists teaching real art Classes - real art instructions! 
Still it took me another year or two before I figured out a way to attend Ann Templeton's workshops in New Mexico and old Mexico. For about eight or so years, I would go to her workshops once or twice a year. 
I had to unlearn my bad habits and my crafty techniques, and learn how to paint like a Painter.
Ann put me on the right path.
It was a slow process. Once a year with your teacher was not enough.
However, by then, I was hooked. I made time to pursue my passion for painting.
Meeting Ann was a beginning.

Since then, I have learned to research Artists on internet. I have learned by studying art books (of course, putting what you learn by books into practice is a different matter). I took classes in drawing and other art courses at the university. 
I try to find artists whose works I admire and learn from them. 
An on-going process.

After I finally retired from working when I turned seventy-five, I paint, I paint, and I paint.

I am still learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment