Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Story Of An Automobile

When you sell Real Estate, you need a car to transport everyone around, right?

I was driving that same big, old, ugly, brown station wagon at that time. We had had that station wagon for about six or seven years. I used to take my Blue Birds around in it, remember? 
It was time for me to have a new car.
New business. New car. Good for the image. 
And, really, the old station wagon was showing quite a bit of wear and tear. 

Besides, my accountant said that I could 'write it off' as one of my expenses.

Now, about cars, I did know how to drive one, but I had no knowledge how they really function. I do know if it handles well or not; or if it rides smoothly or not; or if it has enough power going up the hill or not; or if it is appealing or not . . .
You see, all my life, up to that time, I had 'no say so' in purchasing cars or maintaining one.
When I was in Hong Kong, my father had promised  me a car, but circumstances were what they were, I never had a car to myself. I could use the family car once in a while. The majority of the time, I lived in the dorm then, I did not really need a car.

After S.C. and I got married, he bought a small, second hand Hillman. We used the car on weekends only. Parking was a big problem on weekdays. It was easier taking public transportation.

After we came to the U.S., he was the one who bought the cars - always. It was a station wagon or a van. I was never really consulted.
Buying cars was his job, he believed - a man's job!
I longed to have a real car, a sedan.
Actually, I would have preferred a little two-seater sports car. Not with the kids though.

Then we came to Oklahoma. 
He bought a pickup. (We also had a small station wagon then.)

In my life, I never saw as many pickups as I have seen in Ada, Oklahoma. 
Back in Shanghai, I hardly ever saw any pickups. I saw trucks, commercial ones and military ones. I did not know any private citizens driving pickups. Neither in Hong Kong.

But here in Ada, it seemed like most people own a pickup. 

I understand, if you had a farm, or if you needed to haul things around; or if you were a plumber or an electrician, you needed a pickup. But why did you drive a pickup if you only needed a vehicle for transportation? 
But of course, S.C. was into fishing and hunting. He needed a pickup! He even rigged up one so he could camp in it. Can you believe that?
I never learned how to drive a pickup.
I never liked camping either.

Without really delving deep into this phenomenon, I mentioned to one of my clients, who worked for one of the big motor companies, that I was in the market for a car. He said that he could help me order one to suit me for much less money than if I bought one through the dealer.
So, I ordered a car from his Company with his help. It was fun to look at the catalog and pick out the model, and so on . . . 
I was having a good time.

Wow!
I did not realize that was something that greatly offended my husband. 
He threw a fit, 
       - because I did not ask him about buying a car, 
       - because I made a decision to buy a car on my own.
I did not think that was such a big deal, since I was merely getting something that I needed for my business.
Did I have to consult him when I was buying a dress? or a pair of shoes?
I know, I Know, a car costs more money. But I was using my own money. 
What Was the big deal?
Besides, I did not want him to buy another station wagon!

Would you know, he would not help me maintain the car after I purchased it?

Charlie, my associate, said that if I kept the car gassed up and had my oil changed regularly, I should not have any problems with it. 
Charlie changed his cars every two or three years. 
Not me!
I kept mine for at least five or six years, or longer. The Service department at the car dealer's always took care of me. 
It was not a problem, as far as I am concerned.
I took the car to the car wash to be cleaned.
I took the car to the Service Department, if it needed any thing done. The Service Department Manager took good care of me.
I am still doing things the same way now that I am by myself.

Didn't I tell you already - I do what I can do and let the experts do what they can do for me? 

Believe me, it makes life much easier this way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment