Sunday, November 23, 2014

Micro-aggression

I went to the Ada Writers' meeting yesterday morning. We had a presentation given by one of our members on - 
"Unconscious Ideas In Writing."

The speaker said that we all know words have power. Therefore, we need to make every single word count. True.

She talked about Micro-aggression. A comment, a phrase or a word can appear harmless, yet it can affect us in every way, our thinking, even our health.

She told us to try to be unbiased in writing.
Can we? Really now.
We have been brain-washed far too long to change?

How many times have I heard people say to me, "Oh, you are Chinese!"
I am American.

"Oh, I just love the Chinese."
Oh, you don't.

"I have a niece who married a Chinese . . . "
What can I say?

Love me for I am and not for my heritage.

"You are pretty sprite for an old woman!"
Old? Young? Is being sprite the characterics for the young only?

How many times have you heard people say, "You are pretty smart for a girl!"
Girls are nor supposed to be smart?

We are all biased. We all have prejudices. I don't know if we will ever really change. Do you?
But I will try to be careful about the unconscious ideas in writing. May be you should, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment