Monday, November 3, 2014

The Tree House

Sayulita, a small fishing village on the coast of Pacific Ocean, was not yet been discovered by tourists in 1998.

Villa Amor sat right on the coast, with ocean front view for every room.
The hotel compound could be reached by a five or ten minutes walk along the beach from town.
It was built by a couple from California.
Part of the hotel was built into the mountain, like the cliff dwellings. My room was in that part, on the second level. I believer there were four levels.
My living room was actually a large open terrace.
There were two bedrooms. One behind the little breakfast bar, with a half wall, no doors - an extra-large niche in fact. You could watch sunset in the evening lying in bed.
The other bedroom did have walls and some louver doors. It was a round room, with a palapa roof. There were three large holes in the wall where a tree branch came into one hole and went out of the other two. That was my room. My painter friends called it my tree house.
There was a fairly large bathroom, with no doors (there was a curtain). There was an open shower, a modern commode, and a painted wash-basin with a sculpture of a head as a faucet. I learned to keep a towel around the curtain when taking a shower so the water would not run all over the terrace - they failed to slant the floor to the drain properly. But it was most interesting and quaint.
There was a heavy carved wooden front door with a lock.
Actually if anyone wanted to come into the suite, they only needed to climb up the mountain, went to the other side of the "building" and climb right down into my terrace living room.
There was no railing on the terrace, merely a slight rise.
One could bend over a little and see the neighbors downstairs. The neighbors on the upper level could do the same, and see me.
But Oh the View! Breathtaking!
Waves pounding, almost nonstop, day and night. There were surfers.
Then, there were fishermen. If you get up early enough, you could see them coming to shore with their catch. We would go down to the open-air restaurant down the beach and have the freshest fish for dinner.

Marge finally came. She was to be my room-mate.
She did not like to climb the steps, so she stayed in another part of the hotel. Instead, I had a wonderful young woman from Montana as my room-mate.

                                       Sayulita. Nayarit, Mexico

                                          View from Villa Amor

                                                   Fishermen

                                     Villa Amor    Terrace/living room

P.S. I got these pictures from a Site on Sayulita. Sayulita has been discovered by tourists now. Last time, I went there in 2006. It was getting crowded. But the view was still beautiful.
My terrace did not have such furniture in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment