Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving Weekend.

I wish you and your family Happy Thanksgiving!

When I was in Shanghai, we celebrated Thanksgiving differently. We had to pick a date for the celebration. Astrology was consulted - the right date was picked - the date that was right for the head of the family. 
The date would then be set. Preparations began, food and wine and all the trimmings.

On that day, my father would don his traditional Chinese clothing- a robe of some sort in dark blue silk, a black silk jacket, clothe shoes made by hand. No, he did not wear a hat. Father normally wore Western style clothing, suit and tie. Mother and I will wear something new and festive, mostly in silk. My brothers would be in their new suits. (My sister was not born then, I was the only girl in the family.)

Father was the main person, we were merely there for him.

The two heavy teak wood square tables would be put together, set near the front of the Hall, decorated, and loaded with food. All the doors to the court yard would be open. Incense would be burning, together with fat candles set in tall and heavy copper candle holders. Wine would be heated and poured into fine porcelain cups. Father, facing the court yard, would kneel in front of the loaded tables and offer wine and food to our Ancestors and to Heaven. Kowtowed three times, with three rounds of wine being offered. Thanking God for a Good Year.

Afterwards, the family would sit down for a feast. 
The servants would have theirs in the kitchen later.
Every dish signified good luck, god fortune, and long life - to ensure that the following year would be better than the one before.

We had to scale down those celebrations during Japanese occupation, during the War. After we fled to Hong Kong, we stopped doing it. There was no room for the ceremony, there was not enough money probably. The tradition was lost.

Now, I celebrate Thanksgiving in my small way in the U.S., with turkey and all the trimmings. but I am still thankful for a Good Year.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

P.S. I have completed 150 posts. I will be off for a few days.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, Loretta.

    ReplyDelete