Friday, August 15, 2014

A Taste of English Country Life

Winter break came, I was to go to Oxford for a week in January. But, before going to Oxford, I had a few days off. I had to decide what I was going to do and where was I going to spend the time, since the Hall would be closed.

One Irish schoolmate invited me to Ireland, which would be a wonderful opportunity. However, I did not wish to spend money for the fare and I would be rushed for time. Another schoolmate, Mary, invited me to her home in England for Christmas. I accepted her invitation with great joy..

So, Christmas found me on a real English estate, as a guest. 
Ah, the beautiful English countryside! Even in the wintertime, it had charm.The gently rolling land with its stone walls, stilts, criss-crossed hedges of hawthorns and hops; and the pastures - like a handmade quilt! 
Mary's home was grand, but very warm and comfortable.
Mary's father owned land for as far as your eye could see and beyond. He would be what we call a gentleman farmer - I called him Lord of the Manor.
Mary showed me around the dairy barns. They had machines for milking the cows. It was an impressive operation and I found it interesting. It was the first time that I was being so near to the cows. When I was in Shanghai, I never had the chance to see any beasts. As a matter of fact, the first time that I ever saw a cow, I was in Hong Kong, when I went to the New Territories - where there were some farmers. I was born and raised a City girl.

Mary's father had other live-stocks. Besides the cows for the Dairy, they bred cattle and sheep. It was an experience for me to see the animals.

The big three-story stone house was decorated brightly for the holidays, with garlands of holly and ivy, and other evergreens, interspersed with bright ribbons and colorful balls. And of course, a giant Christmas tree, all decked out with tinsels and balls, and most probably hand-crafted heirlooms.
Mary's mother, a sweet and gentle lady, welcomed me and put me up in a lovely guest room, bright and airy, complete with a comfortable large bed, a chintz covered easy chair, a writing desk, delicate side chair, reading lamp and the works. My window overlooked the meadow. From there I could see the hills and dales. A pleasing and  serene landscape.

Mary and her family took me to one of their friends' party, in a true Gothic building with century old Jacobean furniture. The architecture, with its pointed arches, rib vaulting, and flying buttresses, was simply awesome. The elegant host and hostess were most gracious. I had a lovely time. I marveled particularly at the gorgeous setting! It was almost unreal, being in a Gothic home.

The next morning, there was a Hunt - complete with the many colorfully attired hunters and huntresses on imposing looking horses and the yelping Hounds. At the sounding of the Trumpet, the Hunting Party took off. Mary, her mother, and I stood on the side with some others to see the hunters off. We waved to her father who looked wonderful in his splendid riding habit, riding high on his chestnut horse.
I also remember, after the Hunt, he came back to the house, warming his back in front of the big roaring fire, cutting quite a figure. A proper English squire. An English country gentlemen.

I felt like I was in a setting of an English novel. I was glad to have had the opportunity of having a gleam of English Country Life. At Christmas time, no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment