Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Sailing In The Big Sea

We were leaving Asia and Africa, and heading towards Europe.

We were in The Mediterranean Sea, also known as The Big Sea, heading towards Italy.

Italy, one of the most beautiful countries in Europe. Italy, the birth place of Renaissance. Italy, Bel Paese - beautiful country!
I had read about the Colosseum, I had tasted the pastas, I had heard Puccini, I had seen reproductions of Michelangelo's Sistine Chapel ceiling, I had seen copies of Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa" . . .
Even its shape is sexy - the high-heeled boot, kicking Sicily.
I was excited, even though I knew that I was only going to be in a few of its cities for a very short time.

The Mediterranean!
How many words are there to describe Blue -
      Azure
      Lapis lazuli
      Aquamarine
      Cobalt blue
      Prussian blue
      Thalo blue
      Midnight blue
      Sky blue
      Cerulean blue
      Turquoise blue
      Greenish blue
      Purplish blue
      Violet blue . . . 
And, of course, Mediterranean Blue!
The many colors of blue. Saturated! Intense! Electrifying!
You could find all of them in the Mediterranean!
And the brilliant and beautiful sunlight!

One time, not long ago, someone asked me if I could live anywhere where would I like to live? 
I said, "Italy."
I have always been partial to Italy. Yes, I like France. But I feel more at home in Italy. I don't know why - I don't even speak the language. But that's how I feel. I had the good fortune of being in the region of Umbria, North of Rome, for two great weeks, painting - staying in Terni, I visited San Gemini, Carsulae, Assisi, Todi, Labro. Perugio, Spoleto, Narni, Orvieto, Stonecone, and other little towns (one  everyday). A lifetime of memories. I loved the food, the people, the places, the sounds, and the sights. Yes, even the wine!

(In later years, I visited the Sistine Chapel and marveled at Michelangelo's work. I also, had the good fortune of seeing Leonardo's Mona Lisa in Paris, not once, but twice.)

Our waiters and stewards seemed to be happier. May be it was because we were nearing their homeland. They were going home.
The sea was calm. The weather was balmy.
I could almost hear them singing.

Let me cruise on the Mediterranean forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment