Tuesday, August 19, 2014

My Cup Runneth Over

Like I said, my year in Edinburgh was super Full.

Of course, studying occupied the greater part of my time. However, I managed to do a bit of traveling among other things: 

 - I visited Glasgow and Robert Burns country.

 - I went to the Highlands - saw the heather covered mountains, shepherds herding sheep, pristine Lochs.

 - I went to Lochs. No, I did not see the Monster.

 - I explored Castles and Ruins with David and Amy- Amy was from HK. We even saw the infamous Bottle Dungeon, where they kept political prisoners in years past.
The Dungeon was in the shape of a bottle. Prisoners were lowered down by ropes. There was no way you could climb out. And, the prisoner had hardly enough flat surface to stand. The sound of the pounding waves echoed in the dungeon. You would be driven crazy in no time at all. Only once, one prisoner escaped. Story was, the sister of the prisoner went to visit. She was lowered into the dungeon by ropes. She and her brother exchanged clothing. So, the brother was the one who came out when the visit was over. Clever, right?

I wished I had climbed Arthur's Seat - the impressive cliff-like mountain, which I saw almost everyday.

And,

 - I went to operas with Fiona.

 - I spent a week in Stratford-upon-Avon on another one of the British Council programs; had lectures on Shakespeare and attended Shakespearean plays - I studied Hamlet twice in HK, you know.

 - I was even invited to the Queen' s Annual Garden Party, but got rained out. (All the overseas students had that honor - not just me.) Some people went, regardless, just to sign the Register.

- I might have been to the cafe where J. K. Rowling wrote her book, across from Edinburgh Castle on Main Street.

- I kept in touch with my HK friends in London, including Joyce, of course.

- I did write home every week.

- I became pen-pals with S.C. in the U.S.

Yes, I did finish my Paper on Coleridge on time and graduate.

My cup runneth over.

No comments:

Post a Comment