Monday, August 11, 2014

The Cairns, My Scottish Family

At the end of the week, I bid Joyce and her aunt good-bye and boarded an express train to Edinburgh, Scotland. I did remember my manners, and told my hostess how I appreciated her having me and gave her a small token gift. I probably should have done something for ruining her precious antique vase. Sorry!

The train ride was uneventful. Everything was clean, proper, and orderly, not like the one from Genoa to Calais. The train ran on time. The porter was helpful. The compartment was comfortable and warm. There was a dining car!. Most English people were reserved. You kept to yourself. 
Read a Book!

For the first time in my life, I was on my own. Though I did know that at the end of the journey, I would have contacts. My father had made arrangements with a Scottish business associate of his, Mr.Cairns, for him to act as my guardian of sorts. I was to receive my monthly allowance from him and he was to keep an eye on me. For the next nine months, I would go to Mr. Cairns' office in downtown Edinburgh on the first working day of the month. He would call out to his secretary "Smithie" (a nickname for Smith) to get me my allowance - I believe it was thirty pounds each month. My room and board and tuition were paid separately.
Mr. Cairns was a tall, big man with a Scottish "Burr". He always had a joke or two to tell me. I liked him.
His wife was a no-nonsence and down-to-earth-lady, tall and erect. She was kind.
The Cairns had two daughters. The younger one, Rosemary, was my age. We became friends. Rosemary and I kept in touch throughout the years, until she passed away in 2009. Alex was a bit older, she thought we were kids and did not want to have much to do with us.

I was to live in a Hall - a women's dormitory during the year. 
On some weekends I would visit the Cairns. Occasionally, I would spend a weekend at their home.
They lived in a two story stone house. Probably a hundred years old, quaint but comfortable. It had a good sized yard. The Cairns were gardeners, like most people in the British Isles (Ooops!. I almost called them English). They grew flowers as well as some vegetables. I always wondered how they make those beautiful roses bloom in near zero degree temperature. Scotland is cold!

Now the Scots were very thrifty. They normally did not have dinners, but instead they had High Teas. (Not the fancy touristy ones in the hotels that they now call High Tea. Actually, the four o'clock tea should be called simply Tea.) High Tea in Scotland, was a meal in the evenings, around six or so, when instead of dinner, they served tea with something a bit more substantial besides the usual bread, butter, jams, and cakes; they added boiled eggs, sausages, ham, and cheese.
So, one day I was visiting them. We were having High Tea. When Mrs. Cairns asked me if I would like hard-boiled eggs, I said,"Yes, Please."
"One or two?" she asked. 
"Two, please," I said.
There was a noticeable silence. Everyone turned to look at me.

How would I know that ladies (or growing girls) were not suppose to ask for two eggs? Men could. Boys, yes. For the women or girls, ONE egg only!

But I was hungry!

Later, they would tell their friends about the Chinese girl who asked for two eggs - a good conversation piece.

1 comment: