Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Unemployed And Unmarried One

So I returned to Hong Kong.

My parents possibly had very mixed feelings about me being home, and Not Spoken For. But if they did, They did not express them. They happily took me back. They showed me that they were glad to have me home and acted like not much had happened. Of course, they knew that I went to Texas, since they paid for my traveling.

Since I was not officially engaged, I was fast becoming an Old Maid in every one's eye.


Mother soon started trying to marry me off. 
She did not have trust in anyone - she did not think that I should be waiting for S.C. 

There were arranged meetings for a possible Son-in-law for her. There were probably some match-makers involved. But nothing was said to me. 
I remember, one time, I was told to go to a luncheon. Mother told me not to wear my high heels. 
It turned out that the M.D. mother had her eye on as a possible candidate, was not very tall. I would have towered over him had I worn my 3- inch heels. 
Nothing was said between my mother and me on those similar occasions.
I went to luncheons or whatever when my mother told me to. But I did not like any of mother's candidates. Besides, I had promised S.C. that I was to see him after he got his Master's Degree. 

Remember, I am a Dragon? My words are Good!

I applied for a Library Assistant position at the U.S. Cultural Center, under U.S. Intelligence Agency, under U.S. Consulate. I was the most qualified candidate and I was sure that I was going to get the position. However, because in order for me to work for the U.S. Government, my background had to be thoroughly checked. I was finally cleared - but, it took a long time.

In the meantime, I had paid a visit to the Librarian at HKU. Remember, I was her pet years ago? Knowing that I did not have a job yet, she offered me a temporary job at the Library. I gladly took it. So I worked at the University Library.

I finally got clearance from the U.S. Government and got the job at the Library of the U.S. Cultural Center. And in time, I became an Assistant Librarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment