Thursday, August 14, 2014

Curry Chicken And Rabbit Stew


No, we did not have Haggis!

At the Hall, our breakfasts and dinners on weekdays were provided for. Breakfasts were usually satisfying and filling. Dinners were hearty. We were on our own for lunches, or, sometimes we could ask for a sandwich. 
On weekends, it was a different story. We had to sign up for meals for Saturdays. That was not a problem. Sunday morning, we could have cold cereal. BUT -
No meals provided on Sundays! It was the cook's day off. 
So, the few of us who had no families to go to on weekends had to fend for ourselves. (I could not sponge on the Cairns every weekend, could I?) There were not any restaurants nearby. Besides, the buses or the trams did not run regularly on Sundays. 

Cooking was not allowed in our rooms. We could make a cup of tea or open a can. 
So what should we do?  What could we do?

Actually - my friend Emel from Turkey taught me how to make curry chicken -  don't tell our House Mother.  It was one of the best curries I ever had! I still use her recipe.
                                                                        with Emel

Now, Friday dinners were supposed to be a big deal - a lot of the times rabbit stew was the main course. 
Rabbit meat was supposed to be a treat!
Good grief! Help! Rabbit meat was not for me!
So when we had rabbit stew on Friday evenings - I longed for Emel's curry chicken and, sometimes, I did get some on Sundays in her room. Thank you, Emel.

If someone had invented Cup-of-noodles then, we could have lived on them on Sundays. Then of course, Emel would not have made Curry Chicken. I miss you, Emel. Are you in Istanbal?
  


No comments:

Post a Comment