Sunday, August 10, 2014

My Taboos

I did mention to you that I had Philosophy at HKU, didn't I?
Yes, I had courses in Psychology, Ethics, Logic, and Philosophy -  studies regarding human behavior and human reasoning - virtue, morality, justice, beauty, equality, the soul, the cosmos . . .
I do not profess to understand all of the aspects of these topics, but I do think they helped to shape me as I am today. Though for a long time, I had strayed  - by Not Thinking at all. I was too busy tackling my day-to-day life. And, don't we all? It is much easier to Not Think.

Remembering some of the sayings and teachings of Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, the Greek philosophers; the sayings and teachings of Confucius and Lao-tse, the Chinese philosophers; or even the reasoning of Immanuel Kant, the German philosopher (I don't recall too much of his philosophy or his reasoning these days, though I had to study Him in my Third year at HKU); and may be teachings of some others, I live my life. These sages and their thoughts and teachings have etched in my brain, though for a long time they stayed dormant at the back of my mind.

I now live in the Bible belt, nevertheless, my thoughts are independent, much to the horror of some of my friends and neighbors. My motto is: 
I respect whatever believe that you have and hope you do the same to me. 
And, I do to the others as I wish them do unto me - my Chinese Confucius upbringing.

One of my daughters said to me one time, "Mom, you never taught us much about religion." 
True, I don't believe in organized religion. I am religious to the point if you mean that I am 
    Faithful,
    Scrupulous
    and Conscientious (being religious according to the dictionary).
And I acknowledge that there are somethings neither you nor I or anyone on earth can explain. So call it Super Power, God, Heaven, or whatever you wish.
So, I think I really have taught you Religion, my dear, because I think I have taught you to be faithful, scrupulous, and conscientious.

Now, I have broken one of my Taboos! 
I do not normally discuss religion, politics, or sex with anyone. One out of three. Oh, well. You have to take me as I am, and at eighty-five, I have earned the Right to be me. Don't you think?

And to think, I was heading towards Edinburgh, Scotland, one of the most religious part of the British Isles at that time. In days past, they were not even allowed to smile on Sundays!

No comments:

Post a Comment