Tuesday, August 26, 2014

New York, New York

As I said before, I took the long way home to HK from London - via U.S. instead of Europe.

I flew to New York that summer. 

My first impression of New York, was the many criss-crossed highways and the many colorful cars. 

In London, most of the cars were black. But here in New York, There were - 
         red cars,
         green cars,
         blue cars,
         yellow cars, 
         turquoise cars,
         orange cars,
         purple cars, - cars of all colors, and very few in black.  

I was fascinated by them.

Also, the cars were big and long - that was the time when cars were super large and with a lot of chrome, some with airplane tails. They are collector's items now.

The difference of the Young (New York) and the Old (London).

Stella took me to a Car Show and we saw some Cars of the Future. That was interesting! (I did not know that I was interested in cars.)

I was to see Mr. Kaiser, another one of my father's connections, in New York. Mr. Kaiser promptly turned me over to his secretary Stella.
Stella came from China some years ago. We hit it off at once. When she found out that I had not made any arrangements for any hotels, she said to me, 
"You are Not going to stay in a New York hotel by yourself. You are coming home with me." 
And she took me in to her home.
Stella and her husband, George, took very good care of me during my stay in New York. 
During the day, I would go into the City, and explore.
In the evenings and on the weekend, Stella and George took me around New York.

I love New York!
I like MOMA.
I like China Town. 
I like Broadway.
I like Rockefeller Center. (I saw the Rockettes.)
I like Time Square.
I like Fifth Avenue . . .

Then, I was introduced to TV Shows in the U.S. - So different from the ones in London!

Boy, was I hooked on the Shows - the Game Shows particularly!
I watched a lot of TV in Stella's apartment. (TV was pretty new then.)

Stella and George became my life-long friends. Later, their daughter, Grace, and my daughter, Cynthia, became good friends. Sadly, George passed away a few years ago and Stella is in a Home. However, we are still in touch with our dear Grace in California. 

After my brief stay in New York, I headed to Texas.

 










No comments:

Post a Comment